Table of Contents
Prof. Dr. Galal Hassan Galal Hussein
His field of study/research is applied geophysics – remote sensing and geographical information systems for groundwater exploration and environmental problems in Egyptian deserts and arid and semi-arid regions.
Prof. Dr. and International Consultant/coordinator in Yobe state University - Desert Research Center - Nigeria (1 june 2012 - now)
Prof. Dr. and Vice Chairman of water resources and desert land division, Desert Research Center, Cairo, Egypt ( since 27 Dec. 2011- 31 May 2012)
Prof. Dr. and Head of Geophysical Exploration Department, Desert Research Center, Cairo, Egypt (2 May 2007 - 27 Dec. 2011)
1- Participation in constructions and establishments:
- Establishing a petrophysical lab for geophysical exploration department.
- Participated in establishing the Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems Unit at the Desert Research Center.
2- Supervision on research stations:
- Supervised the petrophysical unit.
3- Participation in projects and applied projects in the field of production and environmental service:
3A - National projects:
A1- National projects with international cooperation.
- Member of the research team for DEMS & MOOR project to study groundwater in EL Qaa plain, South Sinai (seventh stage) (1986-1987).
- Member of the research team for MPGAP project to study groundwater in the Eastern Desert of Egypt (1984-1990).
- Member of the research team for NARP project to study groundwater in the middle of Sinai, Egypt (1992-1996).
- Member of the research team for NARP project to study groundwater in the east of Oaienat (southwest of Egypt) and West Nile Delta, Egypt (1993-1995).
- Member of Boston research team for NARP project to study groundwater resources in Sinai, 1993. "Remote Sensing Aids to groundwater exploration in Egypt’s Deserts”.
- Member of the research team for DEMS ("Desert Environmental Map Systems") project with IGN, France in the period (1993-1996).
- Member of the research team of the international project for Bado sellement from Mersa Alam to Halaib and Shalateen, Red Sea, south-east of Egypt (2003–2005).
A2- Local national projects.
- Member of the research team of the geophysical studies project for groundwater exploration to develop Wadi El Farigh (West Delta), 1992.
- Member of the research team of the economic visibilities project to develop south Egypt (1993–2000).
- Member of the research team of the Regional Councils project in Baris Oasis (1994–1996).
- Member of the research team of Wadi El Hawashiya project - Gulf of Suez, 2001.
- Member of the research team of Esh El Malaha project - Gulf of Suez, 2001.
- Member of the research team for grassing development project at Sidi Barani – Extension of El Hammam Channel in Sidi Abd El Rahman (Mediterranean sea coast), 2002.
- Tested dam sites in Babaa and Wadi Seah Sidri, South Sinai, 2003.
- Conducted studies to solve problems in Graduated Youth Project lands for reclamation Nubaia (west Delta), 1997, and Sumusta (Beni Suef – upper Egypt), 2004.
- Participated in several well logging works.
- Participated in preparing decision maps for land reclamation using GIS.
3B- Studies and research to serve investment sector:
B1- Tourism sector and civil establishment service.
- Exploring a source of groundwater to Aida Hotel at Km77 at the northwestern coast of Egypt.
- Exploring a source of groundwater to Beverly Hills village at 6th October City – west Cairo.
B2- Land reclamation and agriculture service.
- Several studies on new land reclaimed areas west and east of Nile delta as Husein Farm, El Bostan, El Mohandis, Pico, Kadosia Farm, Orabi Society, etc.
B3- Industry sector service.
- Finding a groundwater source for cement projects at Suez Cement Factory at El Qatamiya and Egyptian Cement Factory at El Ain El Sokhna, Gulf of Suez.
- Finding a groundwater source for desalinization units that lie north of Neweiba, Gulf of Aqaba.
4- Head of research projects:
- Head of several research teams to study the petrophysical properties to serve the various projects for Arab Constructors Company.
- Head of the research team for Graduated Youth Project in Minia Governorate, Sumusta, 2001.
- Head of the research team for Esh El Malaha studies and development, Gulf of Suez (2002-2005).
- Head of the research team for Wadi Wardan studies and development, South Sinai (2003-2006).
- Head of East Bitter Lake evaluation of the groundwater situation (2006-2007).
5- Scientific articles:
- Published an article in The Leading Edge as book reviewer, USA Feb. 1999, Vol. 18, No. 2, p. 274
6- Encyclopedias and books:
- Published a book titled Entrance to Remote Sensing in Arabic.
7- Supervision on several M.Sc. and Ph.D. Theses.
8- Local and international research activity:
8A- Local research activity:
- Participated in training for Desert Research Center (DRC) staff on computer programs according to the training management regime of DRC.
- Participated in training for Desert Research Center staff in remote sensing and Geographic Information Systems according to the activity of Satellite Receiving Station and G.I.S Unit in DRC.
- Receiving NOAA satellite images, processing, archiving and analysis.
- G.I.S. map production and remote sensing analysis in DRC.
8B- International research activity:
- Participated in training programs for staff working in agriculture and water of Arab Republic of Yemen by giving lectures and laboratory training in the application of Geographic Information Systems and in the field of geophysical exploration, 2001.
- Participated in The National Training Program with cooperation of the Arabic Organization for Agricultural Development that related to the League of Arab States for training the laborers and researchers in the field of agricultural development in Egypt and Arab states; held in the Desert Research Center in 2000 under the title "The use of Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems in Map Production".
- Participated in The National Training Program with cooperation of the Arabic Organization for Agricultural Development that related to the League of Arab States for training the laborers and researchers in the field of agricultural development in Egypt and Arab states; held in Desert Research Center in 2002 under the title "The use of Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems in field of Land Use and Soil".
- Participated in training for the geographic department staff in the Faculty of Art of Cairo University.
- Visitor :
- - Boston University, Center for remote Sensing (1 June - 31 Aug. 2007)
- Coordinator for EIA international workshop :
-" EIA and Desertification Training workshop for professionals from the Mashrek and Maghreb countries - Egypt, Dec. 14-21, 2008 ", with the participation of GTZ, UNDP, OSS, FAO, IRA and Desert Research Center.