DR. M. G. Chandrakanth is currently a professor of Agricultural Economicsin the Department of Agricultural Economics at University of Agricultural Sciences in Bangalore (Karnataka, India)
He is also a Principal Investigator forTOE-NRE and Ford Foundation Project.
- World Bank Visiting Fellowship, April - June 2001 in Environmental and Resource Economics at Florida International University, Miami, Florida, USA.
- Post Doctoral Fellowship from the Ford Foundation and the Ciriacy-Wantrup Post Doctoral Fellowship in the institutional economics of natural resources at the University of California, Berkeley (1987 - 1990) for studies on natural resource economics, forestry economics and policy.
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, 1977-1982; (Gold Medalist).
- M.Sc. (Agri.) in Agricultural Economics, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, 1974-1976.
- B.Sc. (Agri.) in University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, 1970-1974 .
- Professor of Agricultural Economics, UAS, Bangalore since Oct 2003 till date.
- Professor and Chair, Department of Agricultural Economics, UAS, Bangalore since February 3, 1994 till Oct 2003.
- Associate Professor, Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, since December 2, 1983 to February 2, 1994.
- Assistant Professor, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore, February 2, 1982-December 1, 1983.
- Instructor, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore from August 1, 1980 - February 1, 1982.
- Experience in preparation of research project proposals for funding in the field of (i) Resource and Environmental economics of groundwater and watershed development and has been successful in fund raising for research from Ford Foundation and World Bank.
- Experience in leading research team of diverse cultures and background fulfilling the objectives.
- Experience in institution building activities and in human resource development.
- Have been responsible in shaping the careers of several students to pursue their graduate program and post doctoral program in coveted Universities in US, Europe and Australia
Teaching Experience: Courses offered:
- Post graduate courses: Econometrics, Mathematical Economics, Natural Resource Economics I, Research Methodology in social sciences, Agricultural Production Economics, Mathematical Economics.
- Under graduate courses: Introduction to Agricultural Economics, Forestry Economics, Economics of Sericulture, Recent Advances in Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Finance and Credit Institutions.
Work in Rice
Economics of rice cultivation under groundwater and surface water irrigation incorporating the cost(value) of surface water and groundwater in different agroclimatic zones of Karnataka. Interests also include the economics of SRI (System of Rice Intensification), economics of rice cultivation in groundwater market areas, Economics of water management in rice cultivation in command areas.
- Honoured to be the Member of The Water Policy Law Group of the University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia.
- Consultant for SANDEE, (south association net work for development and environmental economics, based in Kathmandu) funded by Rockefeller Foundation.
- Nominated as Editor for the International Journal of Ecology and Development.
- Nominated as Vice President of the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, (a Professional body of Agricultural Economists in India) for two years from 2000.
- Chosen to be the Rapporteaur for the session on "Valuation of environmental and natural resources" for papers submitted during the 61st Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, Dec 27-29, 2001, at Gulbarga University, Gulbarga.
- Principal Investigator, Team of Excellence in Natural Resource Economics, funded by NATP, World Bank, at UAS, Bangalore for 1999-2003.
- Experience in handling two exclusive research projects relating to groundwater and watershed development funded by the Ford Foundation, New Delhi
- Team of Excellence in Natural Resource Economics, grant of Rs. 1.10 crores from World Bank. Worked on Economics of groundwater and surface water irrigation in rice based ecosystem of Karnataka
- Sustainable development of watershed program, by Sujala, World Bank assisted project for Rs. 11 lakhs from Govt of Karnataka
- The Ford Foundation, New York provided $ 41,000 to research on equity issues in groundwater development - an institutional analysis of failed irrigation wells in Karnataka for 4 years from 1994 to 1998.
- The Winrock International, Washington DC, provided $ 1700 to research on the sustainability of management in rehabilitated irrigation tanks in Karnataka. This is a completed project.
|Climate change impacts on non-market activities||Topic Editor||Article||Encyclopedia of Earth||2012-07-07 17:51:57|
|Distribution of taxes in the United States||Topic Editor||Article||Encyclopedia of Earth||2011-10-13 20:36:33|
|Empirical, theoretical, and historical investigation in economics||Topic Editor||Article||Encyclopedia of Earth||2007-10-09 14:58:19|
|Resource maintenance in economies||Topic Editor||Article||Encyclopedia of Earth||2007-12-20 17:13:46|