Brief Curriculum Vitae
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015
Phone: (610) 758-6751; Fax: (610) 758-3677; E-mail: email@example.com
Paleoclimatology and paleoecology; late glacial and Holocene; pollen, stomatal and macrofossil analysis of lake and wetland sediments; paleoclimatic applications of stable isotopes and trace elements (from marl and ostracode/mollusk shells); peatland carbon cycle dynamics and climatic connection.
B.Sc. in Physical Geography, Peking University (Beijing, China), 1985
M.Sc. in Environmental Geosciences, Peking University (Beijing), 1988
M.Sc. in Botany (Paleoecology & paleohydrology), University of Toronto (Toronto, Canada), 1992
Ph.D. in Botany (Paleoecology & paleoclimatology), University of Toronto (Toronto), 1997
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Stable isotope geochemistry and paleoclimatology, Limnological Research Center, University of Minnesota, 7/1997 - 7/98
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Peatland dynamics modeling and Holocene climate change, University of Alberta, Edmonton, 8/1998 - 6/2000
Assistant Professor, August 2001 – Present, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
Research Scientist, June 2000 – July 2001, Climate Change Network, Northern Forestry Centre, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Teaching and Research Assistants, September 1991 – April 1997, Royal Ontario Museum and University of Toronto, Toronto
Instructor, July 1988 – July 1991, Department of Geography, Peking University, Beijing, China
1. Yu, Z.C., J. McAndrews, and U. Eicher. 1997. Middle Holocene dry climate caused by change in atmospheric circulation patterns: Evidence from lake levels and stable isotopes. Geology, 25: 251-254.
2. Yu, Z.C. and U. Eicher. 1998. Abrupt climate oscillations during the last deglaciation in central North America. Science, 282: 2235-2238.
3. Yu, Z.C. and E. Ito. 1999. Possible solar forcing of century-scale drought frequency in the northern Great Plains. Geology, 27: 263-266.
4. Yu, Z.C. 2000. Ecosystem responses to late-glacial and early-Holocene climate oscillations in the Great Lakes region of North America. Quaternary Science Reviews, 19:1723-1747.
5. Yu, Z.C. and H.E. Wright, Jr. 2001. Response of interior North America to abrupt climate oscillations in the North Atlantic region during the last deglaciation. Earth-Science Reviews, 52: 333-369.
6. Yu, Z.C., M.R. Turetsky, I.D. Campbell and D.H. Vitt. 2001. Modelling long-term peatland dynamics. II. Processes and rates as inferred from litter and peat-core data.Ecological Modelling, 145: 159-173.
7. Yu, Z.C., E. Ito, D.R. Engstrom, and S.C. Fritz. 2002. A 2100-year trace-element and stable-isotope record at decadal resolution from Rice Lake in the northern Great Plains,USA. The Holocene 12: 605-617.
8. Yu, Z.C. 2003. Late Quaternary dynamics of tundra and forest vegetation of the southern Niagara Escarpment, Canada. New Phytologist. 157: 365-390.
9. Yu, Z.C., I.D. Campbell, C. Campbell, D.H. Vitt, G.C. Bond and M.J. Apps. 2003. Carbon sequestration in peat highly sensitive to Holocene wet–dry climate cycles at millennial time scales. The Holocene, 13: 801-80
10. Yu, Z.C., Vitt, D.H., Campbell, I.D. and Apps, M.J. 2003. Understanding Holocene peat accumulation pattern of continental fens in western Canada. Canadian Journal of Botany, 81: 267-282.
11. Yu, Z.C. 2006. Power laws governing hydrology and carbon cycle dynamics in northern peatlands. Global and Planetary Change 53: 169-175.
12. Li, Y.X., Z.C. Yu, K.P. Kodama, and R.E. Moeller. 2006. A 14,000-year environmental change history revealed by mineral magnetic data from White Lake, New Jersey,USA. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 246: 27-40.
13. Yu, Z.C. Rapid response of forested vegetation to multiple climatic oscillations during the last deglaciation in the northeastern United States. Quaternary Research (in press).
14. Yu, Z.C. 2006. Holocene carbon accumulation of fen peatlands in boreal western Canada: Complex ecosystem response to climate variation and disturbance. Ecosystems (in press).
Associate Editor (2002-2004)
WETLANDS, an international journal published by the Society of Wetland Scientists.
Associate Editor (2005-2006)
CHINESE SCIENCE BULLETIN, a semi-monthly international multidisciplinary journal published jointly by Science in China Press (China) and Springer (Germany).
Editorial Board Member (2005-2007)
GEOLOGY, an international journal published monthly by the Geological Society of America.
Project Secretary (2004-2007), INTIMATE Project (INTegrating Ice core, MArine and TErrestrial records), INQUA Palaeoclimate Commission
Adjunct and Visiting Professor (2004-present), Centre for Arid Environment and Paleoclimate Research )CAEP), College of Earth and Environmental Sciences, LanzhouUniversity, Lanzhou, China
More info can be found here: http://www.lehigh.edu/~ziy2/