EDUCATION & SPECIAL TRAINING:
PhD in Environmental Policy – communications and sociology concentration
University of Nevada, Las Vegas In Process
Masters in Science, Environmental Policy and Management
Universityof Nevada, Las Vegas Conferred: July 2005
Bachelor of Science, Earth Systems Science & Policy
California State University, Monterey Bay Conferred: Dec. 2001
- Member of Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences since 2009.
- Program Evaluation Training – Oct. 2008
- The Climate Project Presenter – Dec. 2006
- Wilderness Advocacy Training 2005
- Graduate Student Professional Development Program in College Teaching 2005
- GLOBE Trainer - certified August 2002
- Fluent in Microsoft Office
Instructor, Department of Environmental Studies
Universityof Nevada, Las Vegas Las Vegas, NV Aug. 02 – Current
- Instructed ENV 101: Introduction to Environmental Science
- Instructed ENV 205: Development and Environment
- Instructed and developed ENV 206: Introduction to Climate Change
- Instructed and developed ENV 794: Introduction to Climate Change for teachers
- Advisor to the Sierra Student Coalition and Women’s Rugby Club on campus
Content Developer, CAMEL grant from NSF through CEDD
University of Nevada Las Vegas Las Vegas, NV Jan 2010 - Current
- Develop climate change curriculum for undergraduate level courses and make materials available on CAMEL website through the Encyclopedia of Earth.
- Facilitate the use of the website by contributors, editors, instructors, and students.
Supplemental Materials Consultant
John Wiley and Sons Publishers, Inc. May 2008 – Current
- Develop supplemental materials for environmental science textbooks including videos, lecture launchers, and review questions.
- Check questions and other supplementary materials for accuracy.
Part time facilitator, Public Lands Institute
University of Nevada Las Vegas Las Vegas, NV Jan. 2010 – Sept. 2010
- Led outdoor programs on federal lands for grades 4 – 12. Activities included geocaching, hiking, and kayaking.
- Led environmental science activities for grades 4thand 5thon a boat on Lake Mead National Recreation Area through the Forever Earth program. Water samples were collected and analyzed to answer a research question.
- Facilitated outdoor activities on federal lands for Hispanic families through the Families in Nature program.
Education Program Coordinator, Spring Mountains National Recreation Area
NexGen Technologies Inc. Las Vegas, NV Nov. 08 – Nov. 09
- Research natural and settlement history of the Spring Mountains National
- Develop a strategic plan to implement educational and interpretive programs
- for the mountains, including evaluation techniques.
- Recruit, train, and coordinate volunteers to help implement new education
- Outreach to targeted groups in the Las Vegas area and present programs specific to those groups.
- Coordinate on interagency outreach and education projects (podcasts, mobile exhibits, cultural inclusion.)
Public Relations Specialist
Tahoe Resource Conservation District South Lake Tahoe, CA Fall 2008
- Develop new website content.
- Develop relationships with local press to get media coverage of campaigns.
- Develop and review materials for public distribution.
- Develop outreach for volunteer recruitment, email marketing, fundraising.
The Sierra Club Las Vegas, NV April 06 – Aug. 07
- Recruited volunteers and created coalitions for local conservation efforts
- Supervise campus organizer, a position I created for UNLV
- Conduct community outreach and awareness events
- Work with local and state governments to achieve energy conservation goals
Research Assistant, Department of History
University of Nevada, Las Vegas Las Vegas, NV Jan. 05 – Aug. 05
- Researched the history of natural resources administration at Yosemite National Park.
ECO Associate, The Environmental Careers Organization, Inc.
Red Rock Canyon NCA Las Vegas, CA Jan. 02 – Aug. 03
- Developed and lead K-12 educational programs on and off site.
- Developed site as a GLOBE partnership to provide teacher workshops and mentoring.
- Established partnerships with agencies locally and out of state.
Teaching Assistant, University of California Environmental Science Academy
Lassen Volcanic National Park Shasta, CA July 2001
- Provided instructional support and coordinated logistics
- Facilitated learning and teambuilding activities among students
Program Specialist, The GLOBE Program
NASA-Ames Research Center Moffett Field, CA Aug. 00 – Jun. 01
- Provide outreach support for The GLOBE Program
- Answer teacher queries regarding program, instruments, and protocols.
Instructor / Counselor, SEA Lab Monterey Bay
CSU, Monterey Bay Seaside, CA July 2000
- Facilitated instructional and recreational activities relating to marine environments.
- Supervised students while they resided at the CSUMB dorms.
Teacher, Recruitment In Science Education
CSU, Monterey Bay Salinas, CA Jan.00 – July 00
- Led educational and recreational activities relating to watersheds for at-risk youth.
CSU, Monterey Bay Seaside, CA Apr. 99 – Oct. 99
- Conducted bird surveys in density and feeding behavior.
Patricia Mynster, David Hassenzahl(Lead Author);Andy Jorgensen(Topic Editor) .
“NCSE-NASA Curriculum Module - Colorado River water supply". In: Encyclopedia of Earth. Eds. Cutler J. Cleveland (Washington, D.C.: Environmental Information Coalition, National Council for Science and the Environment). [First published in the Encyclopedia of Earth July 28, 2010; Last revised Date July 28, 2010; Retrieved October 6, 2010 <http://www.eoearth.org/article/NCSE-NASA_Curriculum_Module_-_Colorado_River_water_supply>
Mynster, T. “Presentation of Modules: Climate Change Impacts on the Colorado River
Water Supply.” Boulder, Colorado. Council of Environmental Dean and Directors Summer Meeting 2010.
Hassenzahl, D., Bloom, A. and Mynster, P. “CAMEL Climate Education Workshop.”
Portland, OR. Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences 2010
Mynster, P. and Hassenzahl, H. “Teaching Climate Change to Undergraduates.”
Washington, D.C. National Conference on Science, Policy & the Environment
Mynster, P. “Innovative Approaches for Teaching Environmental Courses.” Santa
Barbara Summit on Environmental Studies, 2006.
Hassenzahl, D.M. and Mynster, P. “Integrating Technology into Introductory
Environmental Science for Prospective Teachers.” Creative College Teaching Journal 1(1):23.
Mynster, P. “Using The GLOBE Program as an Introduction to Technology and
Environmental Issues.” Nevada Technology Leadership Conference 2003.
UNLV Environmental Studies Department Outstanding Alumnus Award
For Leadership and Dedication to the Environmental Community, 2008
University of Nevada Las Vegas Graduate Teaching Assistant Excellence
in Teaching Award, 2005
Bureau of Land Management National Excellence in Interpretation Award, 2003